While I was home for reading break, I decided to make muffins because this rainy November weather has given me a craving for them! My all time favourite muffin recipe came from my old high school, South Delta Secondary School, where I made  Banana chocolate chip muffins in grade 9 foods class.

I love using this recipe because it’s easy to make, one batch makes around 12-14 muffins which is great if your family devours them like mine does. With baking, you should follow the recipe exactly. The measurements are put in place for a reason so making sure you follow the recipe is very important or else the end product wont end up as expected. Once when I made this recipe a few years ago I forgot the baking soda. This was one of the worst ingredients I could have forgotten, as baking soda is a rising agent.

For this recipe I follow it to a tea, however, my one exception is that the recipe suggests to use 1/2 a banana. I use a whole banana for the recipe and if I’m making a double batch I use two bananas.

Another personal touch I do is once the muffins are portioned out, I sprinkle a few grains of raw sugar around the centre of each muffin just to give it a little something extra!!

Depending on your oven, cooking times will vary. Personally, I cook mine for 22 minutes until they are perfectly golden brown. Even though I make this recipe some what regularly, I always check with a toothpick to see if the muffins are cooked all the way thru.

** A key thing to remember when mixing the dry and wet ingredients is to not over mix. After adding the wet ingredients to the dry, stir until all the mixture is combined and no flour is visible. If you over mix your muffins will become tough and chewy, rather than fluffy and moist. **