Besides a love to cook, part of my reasoning for choosing cooking as my free inquiry topic was so that I could learn to make ethnic foods from various cultures. Chinese food has always been a favourite cuisine of mine, so tonight for dinner I decided to try and make chicken fried rice; using the below recipe from Averie Cooks as a guideline.

Easy Better-Than-Takeout Chicken Fried Rice

The recipe tells you to add the different types of oil and chicken into the pan, skillet, or wok over medium heat. Personally I chose to cook my skinless chicken breasts in the oven, as I added spices and a marinade to them in advance. Yes, chicken usually takes longer to cook in the oven, but to me it’s definitely worth it as you come out with a better more flavourful product. While my chicken was cooking, I added in carrots, celery, green onion, and mushrooms into my pan. I added in the carrots a few minutes before hand due to the fact they take the longest to cook. After all the veggies were sufficiently cooked, I added in the garlic. The recipe calls for 2 to 3 minced ( cut up into small pieces) garlic cloves. I always tend to use the maximum or even above the listed amount of garlic as I love the flavour it brings. For rice though, you don’t want an overpowering garlic taste so I only did two medium sized cloves.

**Very important to stir the veggies intermittently to allow all the flavours to blend together.**

Following the directions I pushed all the veggies to one side of my pan and added the eggs to the other. Before adding the eggs, I whisked them in a separate bowl and added in a bit of sriracha, as I like a bit of spice to my fried rice. After about three minutes being cooked over medium heat- the eggs were perfectly scrambled.

I used white rice, but the recipe said that brown or long grained rice would be completely fine substitutes. After mixing in the rice I added my pieces of chicken breast. Finally, I generously poured a mixture of hoisin, soya sauce, and sesame oil. Combine everything and then you’re done!

I really enjoyed making chicken fried rice based off this websites recipe. This is something I would definitely make again, but maybe try shrimp fried rice next time. One thing I would change is using basmati rice instead of white. I find that basmati rice soaks up the flavour of what ever you’re cooking in a way that white rice can’t measure up to.