Tonight for dinner I made a teriyaki chicken stir fry. Stir fry is one of my favourite meals and makes me think of home, as my mom often makes ones with veggies, chicken or even maui ribs. Chicken, however, is my favourite kind of stir fry because it pairs well with teriyaki sauce and is light, yet filling due to the copious amounts of veggies put in. Firstly, I started by washing and chopping my chosen veggies- cauliflower, green beans, carrots, and mushrooms.**Make sure to chop all the veggies evenly so they will cook at the same rate**  Typically, a stir fry is cooked in a wok, but if you don’t have one a pan works just as well as a substitute.

Once your veggies are cut up, put them in the pan or wok. A tip to make sure everything is  cooked evenly is to put the veggies that will take the longest in first, such as the green beans and carrots, followed by the cauliflower and lastly the mushrooms. I added lots of butter to give the veggies flavour and generously poured soya sauce over the veggies. Let the veggies simmer over medium heat while you prepare the chicken.

Depending on what type of oven you use, the time and temperature will vary when cooking. Personally, I put my two pieces of chicken breast in the toaster oven at 400 degrees for fifteen minutes. Once the timer goes, I always double check by cutting the pieces of chicken in half to see if they’re fully cooked. If they are, cut the pieces of chicken up and place them in the pan with the rest of the veggies.

By the time the chicken is fully cooked, the veggies should all be fork tender, which means that when you place your fork into the vegetable it goes in easily. Once the chicken is in the pan, I added in the teriyaki, black bean, and soya sauce. The sauce was comprised of mostly teriyaki sauce, with a bit of black bean and soya sauce due to the fact they’re quite salty and create an overpowering flavour if too much is added. Give it a good stir to make sure all the flavours are combined.

And you’re done!